Statcounter

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Corcoran Story - Chapter 7 - Nellie

I'd thought most of Mother's friends and acquaintances were long gone; I wasn't prepared for the deluge of condolence notes.  It's giving me a new understanding of what my mother meant to this town. 


 Of course there was her bragging wall.  We all ribbed her about it constantly.


Mostly, though, I resented her job.  Fires don't keep regular business hours, so she missed a good many birthday parties and school events.  In fact, she was off fighting a fire instead of helping me get ready for prom!
 


I learned some respect the day Gerald and I saw a fire on our way home from school and it hit us:


Our mother is in there!


Many of the notes were from Sims whose lives or whose parents' or grandparents' lives she'd saved.


So, inspiration strikes! I'll interview some of these Sims and write a tribute to my mother for the Sentinel.  That should show the powers that be that I'm capable of more than just the society page.  What's not to like?


Ingrid's had her first day of school and is telling her Daddo all about it.


She's much more diligent with her studies than I ever dreamed of being.


She had a wonderful time on her field trip to the police officers' station.


 Her souvenir police badge is her most prized possession.


When Daddo remarked about the tea party she'd had with her toys, he was scornfully informed


"That wasn't a tea party; I was interrogating the suspects."


The tribute to my mother was well received and voila! I'm now an investigative reporter.

 
Daddy had a date.
 
 
He's keeping company with Falconer.
 
 
When I asked if they were an item
 
 
He rather huffily reminded me that he'd never quizzed me about my love life and he'd appreciate the same courtesy.
 
 
Regardless, I'm pleased.  He's been so lonely.
 
 

Nils was promoted again at the lab; he's an aquatic ecosystems tweaker now and working on an aquaponics project.
 

 I was mildly surprised when he took the family fishing at the park.
 

It wasn't as though we would eat what we caught.  (Although I might sneak in some sushi.)


We had a grand time, nonetheless.


It turns out that Daddy is a first-rate grillmeister.


There was grilled salmon for all, vegetarian style, of course.


 

And the reason for the the fishing trip is revealed!  Greywater from the clothesline goes into an algae pond


 That feeds the fish in a clean pond.


Fish from the clean pond go into a tank

 
From which the detritus feeds the vegetable garden!
 
 






4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how long Joe is managing to hold on. Although it makes me concerned for what's coming next chapter. Good news is that Ingrid is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joe is managing to live to a very ripe old age. Note to self: Play ahead far enough not to write oneself into a corner!

      Delete
  2. Ginj! I'm finally catching up on your story. I have slowly been slogging through each of my favorites one at a time, chapter by chapter haha! Helps to add an updater to my blog sidebar too.

    Loved the fishing trip. Vegetarian salmon, haha. Hang in there ol' Joe - and good for you being private about your love life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to see you back, Envie. When my husband read this, he wanted to know how one could possibly do vegetarian grilled salmon. I told him I didn't know but the main ingredient was tofu.

      Delete