Statcounter

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Corcoran Story - Chapter 11 - Marlowe

Don't let anyone tell you that private investigation is all nightlife and gorgeous babes.


The nightlife around here consists of one dive bar, Roscoe's on the beach road.


The scenery there is like the Hope diamond in a gimcrack setting, not half bad.


Inky'd had a rotten break, what with her family kicking off like the blackhats in a bad Western.


She bought herself a swanky place on the beach right after it happened
 

And found herself rattling around in there like a cue ball chasing the lone eight ball.


So when she asked, I moved in, even though I'm not looking to complicate my life.


It's not like she's looking for bling and promises.


After all, she's a copper and knows the score, even if they did park her in undercover vice.  She fulminated like an old 60-cup percolator over that one.


She's like a teppanyaki chef at the chess table.  No surprise there; the grandad who taught her was a Grand Master.


She could probably mop the floor with me in a few other ways as well, if it came to that.


We spend a lot of time at Roscoe's


Eavesdropping


And chatting up well-buttered suspects.


We made a great team until the bartender showed up here, down on his luck


And she moved him in with us.


I could have been jealous.


But I don't think he rolls that way.


Still, I was miffed


Until she wormed her way back into my good graces.


I can't say I object to the extra help.


And Blaine's not a bad sort, if you like the puppydog type.


So we're muddling along pleasantly enough.


When a babe starts worshipping at the porcelain altar, you know the plot is about to thicken.

 Twin boys, she says.


I have a feeling my life just got very complicated indeed.



 









 

6 comments:

  1. It read like a Dragnet episode to me, lol. Specifically thinking of the movie with Dan Aykroyd in it, I could hear his voice as I was reading this. I love Dragnet!

    And two babies!

    Very clever chapter either way, I liked reading it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nirar! I didn't see the Aykroyd flick but used to enjoy Jack Webb's telly version. I had a blast writing this.

      Delete
  2. Loved the post! Very clever. I think this style really suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sparkle! "Who's the narrator?" is a much more difficult decision for me than "Who's the heir?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved loved loved this switch on PoV - awesome!! Marlowe's a cool cat, can't wait to see what these twin boys get into. I have a sneaky suspicion whatever it is, it will be terrifically fun or terrible! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a wonderful time with Marlowe and I suspect that twin boys will make for never a dull moment.

      Delete